This is another end-of-week drive-by sandwiched between a marathon research session, some much-needed laundry (especially considering I was laundering bits of my costume for tonight) and a visit with my family before I get my stuff together to go to the theatre (to be honest, I wasn’t certain I’d find time at all to post again this week).
As such, have a list!
1) I promise that sometime in the near future I will write a piece on the nature of
stage fright. Because I have been extremely public about my stage fright, many many people have asked me about it over the course of the past week or so and that has revealed a few misconceptions about the nature of stage fright. Briefly: stage fright has nothing to do with talent, or even experience. Anyone, from the first-time actor to the seasoned professional, can be victim of stage fright for different reasons. Mine tends to stem from the fact that I’m a) a perfectionist and b) my biggest critic (in other words: an artist).
2) The middle of the semester has hit and, between the mountain of unread books that need to be worked into a presentation by the following Monday, the vast world of undone research that needs doing, the stacks of grading that continually accumulate no matter how bravely I beat them back, and the reading that just keeps coming, I’m absolutely swamped.
3) Headed into the final weekend of As You Like It. If you haven’t seen us yet, what’s your excuse? Come on out, see some Shakespeare, remind me that there are people in this world who love me.
4) My family (and a dear old friend) are in town to see the show this weekend. How awesome!
5) I hope your weekend is less stress-inducing than mine is.